April 15, 2009

Never the Right Answer

Why does every comment or choice lead to more questions? Why is it that what they want usually involves more work for me?

Me: You can wear short sleeves today.
Kids: Can we wear shorts?

Kids: What can we have for dessert?
Me: There are fudge bars or ice cream bars.
Kids: Can I have a spoonful of frosting?

Me: Why don't you play out back or ride your bikes.
Kids: Can I finger paint?

Kids: I'm thirsty. Can I have pop?
Me: You can have water or juice.
Kids: Can I make chocolate milk?

Just once I would like to hear, "Thanks Mommy" or "Great!" I know I'm living in a dream world but I don't know why they ask me questions when they don't want to know or use any of my answers. Frustrating! By the way, Noah just came out and asked if he could wear shorts again. Ugh!

***All the "can" questions reminded me of the movie Avalon. During a school lesson on the proper us of may and can the kid asks his teacher if he can go to the bathroom to which she replies, " You can, but you may not."  


1 comment:

  1. hey, i found you!! i have wondered this exact same thing. the worst thing is when i think i'm being a really great mom--and then they have to push it one step further. arg. i hate that.

    last night, i let the kids stay up late playing outside with their friends. how awesome am i? then they were upset because we didn't read a story before bed...where's the gratitude???

    ReplyDelete