May 16, 2009

The Helicopter Seed

Noah came home from school this week with a helicopter seed and every intention of growing a "helicopter tree" in our yard. Before I knew it he was showing me where he had planted it in the middle of the grass in the backyard surrounded by four bricks. I told him we didn't want a tree growing in the middle of the backyard and that he needed to put the bricks back.

While I was making dinner I heard things like "uh-oh" and "oh no." Noah came into the kitchen and told me not to get mad but a little dirt got in his bedroom. When I asked why he mumbled something about it falling out of his shirt but since I was trying to get dinner on the table before going to 6:00 soccer practice I didn't think much about it. 

When we returned home this is what I discovered:















A trail of dirt and dirt balls leading to Noah's room.















Dirt over a mess of things on the floor.















Dirt all over his table and DS. (That would be his rock collection on the table - mostly from the school playground.)















More dirt on the floor - I particularly enjoyed the shoe outline.















Finally, the helicopter seed planted in the dirt that made it into the container, drowning in water, sitting on a pile of books, with a nightlight to help it grow. 

When I saw all of this I told Noah that there was too much water, that a nightlight wouldn't help a plant grow and that he couldn't keep it teetering on a pile of books. His response: "I never said I was an expert at gardening." 

Add gardening to our list of summer projects.


1 comment:

  1. What does it mean if I have laughed so hard my cheeks hurt?

    ReplyDelete