June 4, 2010

Let the Reading Begin!

The 48 Hour Book Challenge is finally here and I'm ready! Pork chops marinating, garbage out, dishwasher running, laundry started, kids gone until 5:30 and a big stack of books. I intended on starting earlier but it would be shocking to those that know me to find that I'm running behind. I'm going to be working my way through the Intermediate and Young Adult Nebraska Golden Sower Nominees for 2010-11 starting with Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson. My official start time is 8:45 a.m.

Day 1
Woo hoo! I'm clocking out today with 11 hours and 26 minutes spent reading. I'm tired and my eyes are tired.

Books Read:
  • Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarian by Brandon Sanderson
  • Do Not Pass Go by Kirkpatrick Hill
  • Peeled by Joan Bauer
  • Fakie by Tony Varrato
  • Go Big or Go Home by Will Hobbs
Too tired for more now... must sleep. It will be harder to get as much time in tomorrow unless I lock myself in the bathroom and ignore the boys all day. I might have to lift the video game time limit for the day. Are there really people that read 30-40 hours??? Crazy!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great list to be working through - I love the state book awards. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, lift the video game time limit. If there's a time to do it, this is it, baby. And I say that as a mom who realized one summer day that my girls had been playing pretty much all day while I was sickish. But I didn't hear a complaint from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did you think of Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians? I really enjoyed that series... it's so different from Sanderson's other books, very light and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Alcatraz was fun. In the beginning it seemed to have a lot of new/nonsense vocabulary that I could see being confusing for some readers but the cliff-hanger chapters would keep them going. I enjoyed the sarcasm and talking to the reader. This is a book my son would love and I anticipate that it will be popular with my 5th and 6th graders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have read "peeled" by joan bauer (i was trying to read through her books for a little while)! what did you think? also, i love the new background!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melanie! I enjoyed "Peeled." Not only was it well written but the author made writing and investigative journalism interesting for kids. With all of the different journalism issues throughout the story I see it being a perfect collaboration book for an English and journalism class. There was also the added environmental bonus promoting saving the land and way of life over industrial development. Mostly, it was the type of mystery I dreamed of being part of growing up. I don't think I've read anything else by Bauer but I might have another one of hers in my stacks. Recommendations?

    Have you read "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins? It is the best young adult book I've read this past year. You must read it and the second in the trilogy, "Catching Fire," which is just as engrossing. The last book in the series comes out in August. You will not be able to put them down!

    ReplyDelete