February 7, 2009

Impressions

While Noah was home from school yesterday he had some math homework to do - subtraction with regrouping. While he was working I thought I'd clean in the living room and try to catch up on a show. Instead of the TV I kept hearing things like this: "Mom (long pause until I responded) does 43 - 17 = 26?" I would stop (mental math requires complete stillness), do the math in my head and confirm that yes, that was the correct answer. After about the third interruption and trying not to sound annoyed, I asked if he could do all the problems and we would check them when he was done. Feeling a little guilty I then asked if there was a reason he needed to tell me about each problem and he said, "Yes, I want you to be impressed." 

Just when you think they aren't paying any attention, kids remind you how much they need you.

No comments:

Post a Comment