January 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Ian

The sweet little 2 year old boy pictured here is 8 today. Happy Birthday Ian Ryan Kaufman.


And now, a proud mommy moment. Last night the boys and I started talking about Ian's birthday and what they might want to get him. Noah's first suggestion was a Nintendo DS. I told him that was a nice idea but that was more than we spend on cousin gifts. He thought for a moment and then said, "Could I give him mine?" 

Let me just pause for a moment to say that Noah loves his DS (just got it from Grandma for Christmas) and would play it ALL the time if we let him. This is also the same kid that is always asking for things, looking for ways to make money (he thinks the neighbors will buy anything) and just seems to be all about me, me, me. I keep praying that someday he will be less self-centered and this little gesture has given me hope.

Anyway, Joshua also has a DS so Noah thought they could share Joshua's and give Ian his. When he went to bed he was thinking about all the accessories he would need to gather up to go with it. I figured by morning he would have "givers remorse" and be ready to keep it. Not so. He still wants to do it and he wants to give it to him today because, "Ian would really like it." Little does he know that Ian is actually getting one from his family. I wonder if he will be disappointed or relieved when we go over for cake and Ian shows him his birthday present. 

I know that Noah's generous spirit would probably not have shown up for anyone else, but it's a start. Joshua, on the other hand, did not like the idea of sharing at all. He was definitely looking for the loophole when he said, "What if someone else gives him a DS?" Translation: Please let someone else give Ian a DS so Noah doesn't take mine and I never ever get to play on it again. Joshua can be a bit dramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment