January 15, 2009

Lights, Camera, Action

We used to go to movies all the time before we had kids. I loved seeing all the Oscar movies and having discussions about what should win vs. what would win. I would agonize over my Oscar ballot. Last year the only Oscar nominated movie I saw was animated (Ratatouille - a blog in itself) and I had only vaguely heard of the movies on my ballot sheet. So sad! 

The last movie Rich and I saw in the theater was Indiana Jones last summer. Everything we've rented has been pure popcorn entertainment. I thought escapism of any kind was wonderful. The less thought provoking the better.  All that changed today when Rich and I went to see Gran Torino. It is the best movie I have seen in a really, really long time. So long that I had forgotten what a good movie felt like. A movie with a real story and meaning. It was thought provoking enough to elicit conversation afterwards instead of just "it was okay" and going on to the next thing. I don't know if it is the best movie of the year but I have the Oscar itch and I'm ready to find out. I'm already plotting to see Slumdog Millionaire and watching for Revolutionary Road to arrive in Omaha. Nominations will be announced next Thursday at 7:30a.m. Have you marked your calendar? 

4 comments:

  1. It looks awesome! Your blog that is. Can't wait to read all about the Crawford happenings. Sam and I used to see all the Oscar nominated movies until I decided that I only wanted to see mindless comedies. What exactly is Gran Torino about? I know Clint is in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on the BLOG; it does look awesome. Not to mention it should be much easier to maintain than our previous “web site”. Date afternoon was fun (thank you)! I have to agree, this was probably one of the best movies I have seen in a long time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started to write up a movie description and then I got smart and found this:

    Clint Eastwood grumbles and growls his way through his most entertaining performance in years in "Gran Torino" as Walt Kowalski, a Korean War veteran and lifelong auto worker who's disgusted with the changes in his blue-collar, suburban Detroit neighborhood. Having just buried his saintly wife, all the retired Walt wants to do is be left alone with his dog, his guns and his beer. As a sharp-tongued bigot, he certainly doesn't want to be bothered by the growing Asian population all around him, and especially not the Hmong family living next door. First, he catches shy teenage son Thao (Bee Vang) trying to steal his mint-condition 1972 Ford Gran Torino as part of a gang initiation he's forced into by his thug cousin. Then, cultural tradition dictates that Thao must make up for the transgression by working for Walt for free. But the old man also finds an unexpected connection with Thao's older sister Sue (Ahney Her), who shares his blunt-talking attitude. "Gran Torino" becomes more intriguing as the journey it takes us on evolves and grows darker, albeit with Eastwood's trademark, no-nonsense aesthetic. R. 116 min.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mooooovie. i want to see slumdog too. i just purchased the juno soundtrack. fun stuff. i have to skip #8 at school. inappropriate language.

    ReplyDelete